One of the lab groups fabricated data on the previous week's lab. I know they fabricated the data because they used the same apparatus as someone else, and their data did not resemble the other lab groups in the least bit. So I gave them 0's. When one of the members of the group saw her grade, she decided to make a scene about it by yelling at me from the back of the class to come talk to her. I felt like my body had just gone white and goose bumps covered me. I didn't move from the desk so she came to me. She raised her voice and continued to tell me that I couldn't give her a grade like that when I saw them "do" the lab. I tried to explain to her why she got her grade without showing signs of quiver in my voice. I suppose she felt justified in that everyone's data would be different. I can agree that everyone's data would be different, but not that different. I told her if she had a problem with her grade that she would need to speak with my lab coordinator/supervisor and gave her the office number. She left, but she came back... this time she made an even bigger scene.
All of the other lab groups had already started the lab. She came in and sat back down where she usually sits. She made a phone call and decided to talk poorly about me in front of the other students. The same distressing feeling came over me. I conjured up the words to ask her to leave, but her only response was that I should leave. I needed back up so I texted John to see if he could get her to leave since I didn't have the number for the police station to have her removed. John came and I began to feel a little more comfortable. She wouldn't even budge for him so he went to the security guard at the front of the building, and they called the police station. Three police officers showed up to have her escorted out. She stated that she was already on her way out and that John was rude to her and left.
Soon after, her lab partner showed up. I could tell by the look on her face that she had spoken to the other student that was removed from the class. I handed her her grade, and she gave me the same excuses as to why she should not have received a zero. I told her the same as I told the first. She was very polite during our conversation, but as she walked away to grab her books, she called me a profane name and left.
I hate that I'm not assertive. Well, I am to a degree... more so with people I know that with those I don't. I suppose that my lack of assertiveness with strangers presents itself as a problem, especially in the Physics lab I'm teaching this semester.
No comments:
Post a Comment