Friday, June 13, 2008

Weird Thought

I was in the warehouse at work today just before it was time for me to clock out. I was finishing up putting labels on the equipment I'd just received in the database. We label all of the inventoried equipment with "material codes." A material code sheet holds 30 sticker labels: 3 columns, 10 rows. I noticed that whenever I use the labels, I always start at the most left column of the 3, and when Angela, the other inventory clerk, uses the labels she begins at the most right column. I analyzed this trend consciously while labeling the DSL filters.

I concluded that:

(1) I start at the left most column because I am right-handed. I use my left hand as support for my right-hand peeling the sticker label.

(2) Angela is left-handed so she starts at the right most column, using her right hand as support for her left.

(3) We both use the middle column last.

(4) We complement each other.

After I'd finished this complete conscience thought, I felt strangely awkward, and I'm not sure why.

No comments: