Sunday, April 6, 2008

Guy Lingo (#$*&%)

When was the law made that you have to "ask" to be someone's girlfriend? Never has someone said that to me until today. From what I've heard, if you're mutually and exclusively dating someone consistently for at least 2 months, then you're in a "common law" relationship. I figure if we're both having a good time and enjoy each other's company, then we're in a relationship, especially if he's opening doors and offering to pay for dinners, etc.

However, this is not the case with the current guy. Over dinner, I let slip that I didn't know if I should consider him my boyfriend. To which he replied that I needed to ask (based on what he heard from a girl a few years back). I immediately responded with, "And how old was she?" The last time I remember "asking" someone to be my boyfriend was when I was in grade school. Jeez, are we kids or what?!?

After that story was unraveled, he said he wasn't looking for a relationship right now and that he intended to still call me because he enjoys my company and we have good times together. But my thoughts are what have we been doing the past 2 months? Of course, he could be stringing me along, and I'm totally shocked if he is because from what our mutual friends have told me he's not that type of character.

On impulse today, I nearly just broke it off. I wasn't going to answer my phone if he ever called me again (it would be easiest that way), but after discussing this with a few friends and getting valuable input from multiple angles, I've decided that I will be an "adult" about the situation and ask him what he meant the next time we talk just to make sure we are both on the same page.

I do not want to get hurt again.

No comments: